Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Random things...

Ok, so I've been depressed over my friend. Seriously, sleep until ungodly hours of the afternoon and not go to sleep until the light of dawn depressed. Yeah, I'll deal with it, but you'd be depressed too if you were doing this involuntary deathwatch. The proverbial sword of Damocles is not longer just a proverb. It's real and panic inducing. Every time the phone rings, in that instant before I glance at the caller ID, I get seized with the thought "Oh God, this is it. He's gone." Of course it hasn't been, but for the split second, I get this white hot piercing pain. It's quite horrid. I hope none of you have to go through anything like this. Skip it, if you can, trust me, you really wouldn't like this.

Usually, the phone is ringing with something completely inane. For instance, my next door neighbor and long time friend, Lori. Now, Lori and I have been friends since God was a boy. OK. OK. Maybe not that long but since he was teenager. No? Ok, how about since my oldest nephew was a boy? He's now a "growed up" as he used to call adults. Suffice it to say, we've known each other for a really long time. We're both lesbians but she's as handy as the most helpless, straightest woman available at the Home Depot on a Saturday afternoon. She has a girlfriend but Marsha's not much help in that department either. So, she calls me. Lucky me. Toilet not working right? She calls me. Big CRASH in the middle of the night from closet system the developer slapped into our condos being ripped out of the walls? She calls me. Can't figure out what's wrong with her lamp? She calls... you guessed it. ME. Which would be fine, except for the heart stopping, adrenaline pounding mili-second where I'm convinced someone's dead.

2 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger JimMiller said...

Sorry to hear about the difficult time you're going through. Let's hope your friend's last days are peaceful.

 
At 4:15 PM, July 29, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

Thanks you for your kind words. I share in your hopes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home