Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The day E-Bay saved Bob's ass...

One day, a couple of years ago, I got a frantic call from Bob. It went something like this:

ME: Hello?
BOB: Help me!
ME: With what?
BOB: I think I just bought 14 digital cameras off E-Bay!
ME: What!? How'd that happen?
BOB: I dunno! Help me! It's over Fifteen Hundred bucks!
ME: Well, what am I supposed to do?
BOB: I dunno! Just get here!

Throw the phone on hook,

explain to the dog that Uncle Bob is in no shape to play with her so she'd best behave,

jump in the car,

careen over to his place to find him damn near in tears

ME: Ok, now what?
BOB: I dunno! I tried emailing them but I can't find an email address!
ME: Got a phone number?
BOB: NO! That's why I called YOU.
ME: Whaddya think I'm gonna be able to do?
BOB: I dunno, just DO something

After much frantic searching on the internet, calls to 411 and I-800 info, we discover there's literally no way to contact E-Bay! None. I thought he was going to cry. Until. E-Bay called HIM.

E-Bay: Mr. XXXX, are you sure you want to buy 14 of the exact same digital cameras?
BOB: Oh, there is a God, thank you, thank you, thank you. NO! I don't want all of them. I just want ONE.
E-Bay : Very well, sir, we'll take those charges off.

Moral of the story? Don't be so damned impatient. Click the "BUY IT" button once. Then wait. Or else you're stuck with what you order. Unless, you click it so many times even THEY get the idea something is wrong.

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

I'd never heard of it either. But, it's all true. I was standing there when he got the call. Obviously, even THEY can tell that no one wants 14 of the same exact camera. Rhye probably can also tell that he just kept clicking the "buy it now" instead of changing his "cart".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home