Friday, August 12, 2005

Talk to me, baby...

I adore how people talk. Deliciously delectable morsels of dialogue that drop, ever so casually, from a stranger's lips can make me salivate. Most people, since they are not writers, don't know when they've said something that I'm drooling over and will probably try to use in my work. A joke, an unintentional blunder (think mega pickles), a particularly eloquent declaration of aggression, or lust, or even... love, they've all moved me. Ah, the power of words. As a screenwriter, the spoken word (as written by us) is one of the most important tools we have in telling our tale. Since I can't come up with all the various ways people talk to each other, voices in my head not withstanding, I consciously eavesdrop. No, I'm not placing bugs or anything. (No need to alert the Feds!) But, if you happen to be standing in front of me at the grocers, talking to your friend, you can bet the crumpled 20 you're holding that I'm listening. Not so much to the things you are talking about but for the delivery, the flow of conversation, or even that little morsel of conversational chocolate. Sometimes, my friends will deliver that perfect little tidbit and not even be aware of it. But, as a writer, I am. Boy, am I ever.

How about y'all?

5 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, August 12, 2005, Blogger JimMiller said...

I know this is something I should be doing. I just haven't developed the habit yet. Usually when I'm standing in line I'm lost in thought. I need to come out of myself and pay attention to the people around me.

 
At 9:02 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger Grubber said...

I know where you are coming from...I nearly wet my pants when I came across this site.

http://www.overheardinnewyork.com/

I LOVE this site.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
cheers
Dave.

 
At 9:48 PM, August 17, 2005, Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

Sometimes I take notes. There's one such example on my site. Or sometimes I see something that strikes my fancy, like tonight I saw an ad for a play called dependant study, thought that was smart.

 
At 2:27 AM, August 18, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

Thanks for the comments guys...

 
At 9:16 AM, October 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I listen mostly to the rythmns and cadence of people's conversations. The actual conversations freak me out a little too much sometimes with no context.

Still, it's fun to cut and paste all the things you've heard on the streetcar or bus at the end of the day.

If I do become famous, I hope I can keep my anonymity so that I can cull the best conversations. If you are famous like Scorsese or Tarantino, (I imagine) that every conversation around you tends to be forced like actors reading badly for a part or dramatic in soap opera proportions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home