Thursday, December 01, 2005

Ask and ye shall receive...

Spoke to my former client, who's morphed into my new attorney. Funny, seems he's writing a screenplay as well, and is going to screenwriters class tonight... who'da thunk?

Anyhoo.. he's agreed to rep me for a very reasonable fee, and will be submitting my treatment (after I register it with the WGA) to the director for me, along with a little note, on his company letterhead, reminding the director that he has no authorization to USE my material without entering into an agreement with me. Which I'm sure will delight the director no end, but I don't care. THIS is business, and I don't mean to be getting "da business", if ya know whud I mean...

7 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Christina said...

I spent a year helping an attorney unleash his inner screenwriter. Most attorneys write a lot, so that part comes easy to them. The hard part is getting them to be less verbose in dialog.

Consider asking him if he'll lower his rate if you offer to review/critique his stuff, if you're up for that.

 
At 7:04 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm fine with his fee. It's in the same range as my car repair...

 
At 10:39 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

IW: I mighta been born at night... but it wasn't last night.

;)

 
At 11:37 PM, December 01, 2005, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

"after I register it with the WGA"

Don't forget to copyright it!


http://www.brassbrad.com/register.htm#LOC

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/

 
At 7:38 AM, December 02, 2005, Blogger Grubber said...

Great news, now you really are swimming with the sharks!:) Best wishes for it to keep going well like this!
cheers
Dave

 
At 10:09 AM, December 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seems there are an AWFUL lot of screenwriters around. How interesting that the attorney you found just happened to be one.

Protect yourself at all costs. It's YOUR work, after all.
Namaste.
~HDJ

 
At 11:00 AM, December 06, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good plan. Too many of us wander around thinking everyone is perfectly trustworthy, and we get taken advantage of. This way, they know you are *not* to be messed with, that you're well aware that things can and do go wrong... Good luck with the treatment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home