Thursday, November 03, 2005

Oh, my aching head....


So, I haven't been blogging. Wanna know why? Do ya care? You do? Ok, then, I'll tell ya. Cause I've been reading, reading, reading everything I can get my hands on about Islam. I've been at it for hours, everyday! I doubt there's anything more that I can force into my oversaturated brain, tiny as it is.

WHEW! Who knew there was soooooo much info?

Did you guys know there are 72 (YEP, SEVENTY TWO!) different Islamic sects? I mean I know Christianity has its own sects but 72? Holy Mecca! And (showing my ignorance here) I thought Muslims prayed once a day. You too? Well, we're both wrong. They pray 5 times per day! Spaced fairly evenly throughout the day. It so they are constantly reminded of God and can ask for guidance and forgiveness... they pray just before dawn, (I haven't seen dawn in years... unless I was awake from the night before!) noon, midafternoon, dusk (sunset) and finally at night just before going to sleep. And... they wash before every prayer, it's a ritualized thing. I won't go into it here but it's a heavy duty scrubbing.... surgeons ain't got nothing on these peeps!

So, please accept my apolgies for the lack of posting. I would promise to do better but I'm not sure I can. I still have the treatment to write! That reminds me, gotta go! See ya!

6 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, November 03, 2005, Blogger Grubber said...

Good old ghsul(sp?) I must admit, I find their religious requirements fascinating. Best of luck!

Mind you, this is funny when you think about it. Reminds me a little of when Ellen Deg hosted the Oscars after 911, and her opening monologue. ;-)

cheers
Dave

 
At 1:44 AM, November 04, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

I find them fascinating but highly doubt I could tolerate them, given the fact that I am a woman AND a lesbian! Talk about a double whammy!

I've read in depth on that link you gave me and the condescension towards women... My Gawd. Have you seen the post where some woman answers and below it, it reads, "apporved by " (insert wierd name here)... wtf? "Approved by"? Approve THIS, bub.

LOL. I have to remind myself when doing this research that I'm hopefully going to get paid for all this gritting of teeth!

 
At 8:17 AM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Grubber said...

LOL....I think if you check(I could be wrong) but on some of the trickier questions, they go to a higher Imam, and get it approved. Can't imagine what the paperwork is like.;-)

I have not read it for a while, so going on memory there. Had to give it a break, way to many questions about washing, cleaning, divorcing and masturbating for my liking.

I was truly fascinated by that site. Amazing the questions. If I had a therapist, I could not even ask them some of those questions, let alone a priest!

Best of luck!!! Glad it is of help.
cheers
Dave.

 
At 10:12 AM, November 04, 2005, Blogger writergurl said...

I've probably clicked on 40-50 questions there and have seen about 4 answers from this ONE woman... everything SHE writes has to be "aproved". I have seen answers from other men besides the "Imam" and nothing they answer has to be "approved". It's just wierd to my "Western" mind to have to have something "apporved" just because I'm a woman.

So, yeah, I think I won't be joining.

 
At 6:40 PM, November 04, 2005, Blogger Grubber said...

Wow I think that might actually be an improvement. I can't recall them having a woman respond to any questions. But yes, I can totally believe they would have to be *approved*.

Interesting article I read about a year ago from a lesbian muslim(yes she does move a lot and is scared) but here article was about how that approx 600 years ago, the Imams declared that the Koran was not to be revised, and it was the only truth. Up until that point, there had been revisions and allowances for society changing.

She is part of a movement of muslims to revise the Koran to reflect modern day life.

As you can imagine, there are some fundamentalists out there who would love to find her and sit down with her and explain the error of her ways.;-)

Wish I still had that article.

 
At 1:43 AM, November 07, 2005, Blogger ScriptWeaver said...

Wandered over here from Dave's Australian site...

Research on Islam? Yeesh. Good luck. I just completed my first official writing assignment. It's an animation script about a dog that goes into space. Not very deep and philosophical compared to yours. It's not rocket science, but... well maybe it is... a little...

I turned in the first draft about a week and a half ago. No word yet. So now I'm going through the "they absolutely hate it and are trying to figure out how to tell me and fire me" phase.

Anyways, good luck with your treatment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home