Sunday, February 26, 2006

Who was I kidding?

Ok, so, last night, fueled by a couple of beers and total boredom, I decided that it would be loverly for the 17 people who read this blog to have the ability to "feed" it if they so desired. After all, who would want to miss my infrequent mental meanderings? Right? Riiiiiight.

So, I sign up for and get a "Feedburner" account. So far, so good. That's the only thing that went smoothly... if you don't want to witness the wreck, I suggest you simply surf away now. Still here? Ok, hang on, it was a bumpy, bumpy night. You see, you have to insert the code into your template yourself. Whoo boy, okay, time for me to call a pro. But, who's gonna drop in at 1AM on Saturday night? If they're not the other kind of "pro" that is. Not my friends, most, if not all, of them couldn't hear me above the music playing at the gay bar or party they were at. So, I figure I have to do it myself.

To quote Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman... "Big mistake. Big."

I read tutorials, I copy, I paste, I save changes before I "preview", I screw it up. Big. Oh, yeah, BIG.

Instead of that lovely vaguely flowered header you see now, I had a wall of virtually impenentrable text, along with a dizzying assortment of HTML symbols that only get a very puzzled "Huh?" from me. I tried for a couple of hours to "fix" it. Finally, I got fed-up, sent a plea for help off into the ether and staggered off to bed.

Sadly, it didn't look any better in the cold, clear light of day. I even got an email reply with a possible "fix", which I thank him for but, alas, the header? Still gibberish. So, after a few minutes consideration, now that the beer had been processed out of my body, I decide to skip the feed and go back to the same template I had before I started monkeying around. Thankfully, I was able to cut and paste all the previous customizations I had (rather wobbily, but still successfully) put into place before my pathetic night of attempting to code.

Thank God I didn't try running with scissors. I might have put an eye out.

9 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger deepstructure said...

well you don't have to put in a feed - blogger automatically does that. i use bloglines - all i had to do was put "whatshesez" in and voila - feed.

your feed url is:

http://whatshesez.blogspot.com/atom.xml?bsuser=whatshesez

you could just throw that as a link in your right column somewhere.

 
At 2:22 PM, February 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Deepstructure just took the words right out my mouth. But hey, I understand. Up till a short few months ago, I was knee-deep in this shit, till I got a grip of myself... oh, okay, that aside, I asked my techie niece, who love she is, walks me through these things. But I'm almost an expert now.

Feel free to ask and I can say, hey I know someone who knows someone, or, actually have an answer. ;-)

 
At 5:39 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

It gets worse.....in settings in blogger, there is a section called Site Feed, you change no to yes... :)

I did not know that when I started blogging, I did not even know what a feed was until someone asked me to turn it on :)

This is how we all learn, trial and error :)
cheers
Dave.

 
At 6:38 PM, February 26, 2006, Blogger deepstructure said...

lol dave. i completely forgot about that setting (even tho i set it on my own blog!). gotta love technology - sometimes so easy, sometimes very frustrating, and sometimes both at the same time!

 
At 9:46 AM, February 27, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

DS, thanks for trying to help but until I've scabbed over, I ain't messing with the template!

Alex... my neice is 13, she's probably a computer whiz too, but I wouldn't know since the only people she speaks to these days is her best friends and boys.

Dave.... Don't forget I'm the idiot to didn't know I had turned on "moderate comments" and then wondered why I was suddenly not getting any comments!

Me... Thanks for enjoying my itty bitty blog. I'm heading to yours now!

 
At 12:49 PM, February 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! My niece happens to be 31 Writergurl, and, as half her degree belongs to me (I sat in on classes with her) I think I should know as much as her, except my brain's older and leaky like a cauldron... oh, okay, so I'm only a couple of years older than she is, as my sister is 10 years older than me, but still... I'll shut up now.

 
At 1:00 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

See, MY niece would curl up into the fetal position, rocking herself and chanting "La-la-la-la" if someone even mentioned an adult relative(!) showing up in one of her classes!

 
At 3:35 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger 1-18-08 said...

Hey writergurl, just wanted to say you've got a cool blog here.

 
At 9:37 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Eric, glad you enjoy it and thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home