Sunday, February 05, 2006

As one door closes...


As you know, I've been consumed lately by packing up my condo and preparing for the BIG move to LA. It's been an interesting couple of weeks, something akin to what I envision an archeological dig might be. I've found stuff I forgot I had. I even found my next door neighbor (and old friend) Lori's birthday present that I MEANT to give her last year. She assures me that I gave her a gift but I'll be damned if I know what it is... the gift I meant to give her was staring up at me from the bottom of the coat closet. Don't ask me HOW it got in there, I think the dog did it.

Did I mention, I HATE to move? Must have been caused by all the moves I went through as a military man's child. Another consequence of my childhood is that I don't get attached to houses. After all, they were just made to be moved out of. Nothing to get attached too, simply a pile of wood, bricks and gypsum cleverly arranged to give humans shelter.

As I was wandering around my nearly empty condo, picking up the last pieces of my life there, I was taken by surprise to find myself suddenly wrapped in a gauze like haze of memories. It seemed as if the fairy dust dancing in the late afternoon sun carried the faint echo of my friend's laughter. Wandering from room to room, it grew... the clink of glasses raised in toast came from the dining room... outside, the laughter from grilling out with friends and in the living room, it seemed to burst with the energy of that Holiday party, the one with about 100 people all laughing and enjoying themselves. Until at last I found myself in the bedroom, where I swear, my heart could hear the faint sigh and whispered "I love you." of the woman I had hoped to spend my life with.

As I stood there for a moment before I turned the key, driving the dead bolt home for the last time, I prayed that while this door is closed, many more will open for me in the land of sunshine and movies.

12 Comments:

At 3:42 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Doors will open, but be prepared if, at first, it's only a small window.

 
At 9:58 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Good luck, gurl.

And good Karma.

 
At 10:56 PM, February 08, 2006, Blogger Christina said...

Good luck. Certainly, we'll meet if you're in California.

 
At 2:18 AM, February 09, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

Here's to hoping you find success and hapiness in LA.
cheers
Dave.

 
At 12:29 PM, February 09, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Thanks everyone!

Christina, I hope we do meet once I hit LA. Keep reading the blog, I'm sure to be writing about it!

 
At 7:29 AM, February 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:02 AM, February 10, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Anonymous... whoever you are. I have rmoved your comment for several reasons.

1. It was incohrent.
2. It was inappropriate, that particular discussion was on a different site and months ago.
3. It was an attack on me, which I won't have on my own site.
4. It was factually incorrect.
5. If you wish to open up those sorts of discussion, you can email me, my address is easy enough to find.

 
At 4:11 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger Chris said...

See you on the other side.

 
At 4:31 PM, February 10, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Chris, I hope so, brother, I hope so.

 
At 10:26 AM, February 11, 2006, Blogger Morris said...

Don't worry, you will find that perfect guy and get your huge break!

Mr. Morris
Ask Morris

 
At 6:35 PM, February 11, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Morris, While I appreciate the support, I'd much prefer to find the "perfect" girl. ;)

 
At 2:30 AM, February 12, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Me... You're welcome and thanks for the linkage! Hope you atart getting some comments! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home