Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pitching at the vet's office

My widdle pup, (see picture below) has a boo-boo. A very sore and very blistered left front paw. The technical term for it is "lick granuloma". "Boo-boo" works for me. And her. This type of skin disorder is very difficult to treat; frankly, not many vets know what to do with it. The vet she is seeing now is the fifth (yes, FIFTH) one I've taken her to about it. Thankfully, she seems to know what to do. We saw this vet about 3 weeks ago and things were improving. Until yesterday. When I got home from work, she was bleeding from the sore, and not using her leg. Wouldn't even put it down. Basically, when I left I had a dog who walked on 4 paws, when I got back only 3 were working. Not good. So, I whisked her off to the doggie doc today. After an examination, and some scrapings for perusal under the microscope, it was determined that she would be fine, but she needed to go back on the antibiotics that we had stopped giving her. The first round of antibiotics (they did seem to be helping) was only prescribed for 2 weeks. This time, we're going for the long haul... 6 weeks. Wish us luck on the meds working!

Anyways, once the exam was over (and the possible cancer scare was eliminated), I explained to the vet that I was hoping to begin another career as a screenwriter and I was in the midst of planning a romantic comedy in which one of my characters was a vet. I asked if she would mind some questions about being a vet? She said it was fine and I asked a couple "does this idea work in the real world" kinda questions. She assured me they did and then started asking me what the story was about. So, I told her. She said: "Cool, I'd go see that."

Imagine: Going into the vet's with a sick dog and coming out smiling even if you did have to spend a boat load of money on doggie meds and carry 52 pounds of wiggling dog. (She's put on weight while on these steriods.)

Here's a possible Mastercard commercial.

Vet visit: 45 bucks
Meds for the dog: 72 bucks
Validation the your script idea is interesting: priceless.

11 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

YES! That is clearly signs of SOB! I must add "pitching to anybody who will stand still" or "interviewing strangers about their job skills."

Bravo, writergurl.

 
At 4:08 AM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Lucy V said...

I do this too! Not to vets cos my cats are scarily healthy considering they live with us and eat roadkill, but I'm ALWAYS asking strangers random questions. The last one was to a fireman about vandalising fire hydrants.

 
At 12:00 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

Well done.

p.s. my word verification for this post - hpbdam - sounds like somebody is mad at their printer.

 
At 2:31 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

MaryAn, I'm ALWAYS mad at the printer, isn't that part of the writer's duties?


Lucy, I feel ya, sistah!

Slack, you calling me an S.O.B.?

Huh? Are ya?

;)

 
At 3:43 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Lianne said...

I used to work in a psychotherapy training instituion and I used to grill the therapists about everything and anything. I think some of them were probably quite worried about my mental health. Mind you, they were all as mad as their clients anyway. I once witnessed one of the them screaming at the photocopier when it jammed yet again: "Work, you stupid little man!" I wonder what(or who) that photocopier represented to her?

 
At 4:11 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

OP: Well, according to MY therapist (from a long time ago, when I was a teenager and MADE to go see a shrink) that would indicate some sort of transference and possiblity some anger issues, probably involving Daddy! yep, it's the little things that reveal our true selves.

 
At 5:14 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

Hope doggy gets better soon WG. Always sad to see them in pain. They are too nice for that.
cheers
Dave
PS well done on the investigation as well :)

 
At 8:17 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Oh, sorry, I’ve apparently stumbled into the forum for One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Didn’t realized you all were meeting here. :)

 
At 11:20 PM, April 05, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Nurse Rachett, is that you????

 
At 2:31 PM, April 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Priceless indeed my dear! LOL! Can't wait to see where that one goes... oh and yes, hugs and kisses to the lil' darlin', poor thing.

Keep taking the meds. ;-)

(thnsot? HUH? My validation code. I haven't been thin since I came into this world.)

 
At 2:58 PM, April 06, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Alexandra, have no fear, the pup gets plenty o' hugs and kisses. Hell, she gt carried evey time she wants to go up and down the stairs! I'll give her a kiss for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home