Wednesday, October 11, 2006

No news is good news?????


Evidently, that's the reasoning that my fellow Screenplay of the Month nominees and I have been forced to adopt since we have yet to receive coverage of our scripts from the infamous Shark. According to a thread that was started on TS's message board (no, not by moi) the Shark was swamped last month and we should expect to lose our pounds of flesh either at the end of this week or sometime in the first part of next week.

I'll keep y'all posted.



UPDATE

There's still no news to report. It's the END of the "next week" and we've heard nada, zip, bupkus from those cold blooded fish with teeth. Of course we won't hear anything over the weekend, the EXPO is going on and SS is a participant... so I guess you could say, they've got bigger fish to fry.

Sigh.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, March 30, 2007, Blogger jbyrd130 said...

writergurl,

This is completely off topic, and I'm a year late and several dollars short, but I'm writing in response to your posts on Craig Mazin's "Diversity Pass" post early last year. Surely, you're "completely over it", but your point of view was thought-provoking and, shall we say, underrepresented on that thread and I felt it necessary to reply.

Not that you can varify any of this, but I'm a 26 year old, queer-identified black male wannabe filmmaker. Like many Liberal Arts College graduates of my generation, I pretty much OD'ed on multiculturalism/identity politics and such during my undergraduate experience. As a very closeted, and all around inhibited teenager during those years, it's taken me a while to cultivate my point of view on these societal issues, despite the fact that I was very involved on campus with issues of "queer people of color visibility" and "communities of color coalition building."

I respect and acknowledge your struggle in society and in "the industry" in particular, but I slightly differ with you on the validity of the "gay/race analogy."

I don't "hate" the analogy as Kevin Arbouet reportedly does, but I do think that the way in which that analogy is so often presented, (abritrarily, without context) isn't helpful in dismantling either form of oppression. As you've said, I'm not into playing the "oppression olympics" either, but when it comes to practical ways to dissolve oppression, I feel it's important to acknowledge that "all oppression isn't created equal." Context and culture needs to be taken into account if we want to employ practical solutions.

Thanks for your attention, you seem real busy between your screenwriting and your redecorating ;-)

Jason
jbyrd130@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home