Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Join the Navy, see the world...

Join the National Guard, see the desert... in Texas and Iraq.

What a stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Even if I thought this was a good idea (which I don't) the National Guard is getting sent to "guard" the border with NO POWER! No power to arrest, no power to do much of anything, really.

Reminds me of the ONE time I had to stand guard duty. (I was Soldier of the Month at Company & Battalion levels, along with other things that got me excused from CQ and guard duty.) So, there we were out on manuevers, camped out on bivouac in the Black Forest some freaking where, when a German national streaked his naked self through the GP large tent we were in.

Of course he'd been watching us all afternoon as we set up and knew which one was the women's tent.

So, sometime after dark, he streaks through, there's loads of shrieking and someone in the Command Tent decides we need to do a perimeter guard all night. Several different posts around the perimeter and 2 hours for each shift. BUT, rather than issue us bullets for the M16s that we were already carrying, they gave us TENT STAKES. Yes, TENT STAKES. Now, since the perimeter had ALREADY been breached once, do you suppose that the "boogie men" out there in the night were going to stop when we waved a FUCKING TENT STAKE at them? Do you think if they really wanted to breach the perimeter again, a sleepy, droopy soldier waving a FUCKING TENT STAKE would have stopped them? Do you? I didn't then and I don't now.

Sending the National Guard to the border is about as effective as me waving a fucking TENT STAKE.

15 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Melissa said...

Last year Vicente Fox, the president of Mexico, made a statement about the roll illegals play in this country and he was right, they take the jobs no one else wants. I for one am pretty pissy about not getting to pick grapefruit this summer, but what to do?

This country has always been built on the cheap labor provided by the most recent wave of illegal immigrants, what exactly do this yahoos think they are doing by blocking the path of those immigrants? They harm our own economy and diminish the opportunity of a better life to those who come here seeking it.

As H.L. Mencken said, "It is rumble and bumble. It is flap and doodle. It is balder and dash."

 
At 9:59 AM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

America was built on the backs of the immigrant poor, has everyone forgotten that?

 
At 1:50 PM, May 17, 2006, Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

I didn't know that they weren't going to be granted powers of arrest. This makes this seem three times as stupid now, and having military personnel do citizen's arrests, takes it out of a grey area and straight into the Twilight Zone.

Yeah, let's have the Guard navel-gazing thousands of miles south, while the New England area goes New Orleans-style with floods.

"Do you think if they really wanted to breach the perimeter again, a sleepy, droopy soldier waving a FUCKING TENT STAKE would have stoppped them? Do you?"

No, but I guarantee that there wasn't a German vampire within twenty clicks of you.

 
At 12:23 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Melissa... it's a buncha hooey is what it IS.

Alexandra... shhh, we don't talk about THAT. *rolls eyes*

WP... there might have been vampires, we didn't have any damn garlic either!

 
At 12:42 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

Depends which orifice you shove that tentpole into I would imagine :) It'd stop me in my tracks :)
cheers
Dave
PS I can hear the call going over the camp speakers(if you had them) Stanley has breached the perimeter...see Ford Fairlane for further information :)

 
At 1:23 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

But, Dave, if I was close enough to shove the tent stake into anything, the perimeter had ALREADY been breeched, and what if he had come back with friends? "Hold it right there buddy! Lemme shove this into your friend and I'll get 'round to you in a sec!" doesn't seem like a feasible plan does it?

No? I thought not...

ps. There are NO speakers on field exercises, you're playing a very serious game of WAR. (We weren't on a car lot, mind you.) So, not only was I "gaurding" with a fucking tent stake, I had to do it under night vision rules. (No flashlights without red lens covers,[blunts the distance the human eye can see the light] and you'd better NOT turn the damn thing on unless you REALLY need it!)

 
At 5:15 AM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

Humm, not sure if you are an immigrant if you are captured and brought here. But I'm sure our current administration would try to justify it.

 
At 5:22 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

Depends how long that tentpole is :)

 
At 7:27 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Alexandra said...

LOL! Oops...sorry. I think I was on my soapbox. Bad day. Idiot producer's fault. Am I forgiven? :-)

 
At 9:06 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Adam Renfro said...

haha, actually you were right, as well, alexandra. The poor immigrants landed those nation building jobs, too!

 
At 10:41 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Alexandra, honey, tain't nothin' to be "forgiven" I was "rolling eyes" at US.

Dave, dear heart, I didn't say POLE, I said "FUCKING TENT STAKE"! Typicallym they're not longer than 2 foot. Obviously you've done LOTS of camping...

Slack, you were in the Army, I KNOW you know what I'm talkin' 'bout. Idiotic and ill concieved orders from on high is the manna that sustains the military, unfortunately.

 
At 11:00 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

My bad :)

Nope, not a lot of camping experience, mainly when younger at school, but it was fun. No guard duty, but plenty of trying to sneak past the teachers who were on guard duty. However, I do understand your frustration with stupid ideas that you have to action :)
cheers
Dave

 
At 11:20 PM, May 18, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

Dave, I understand, you're a guy... "stake" might as well be "pole" to some of you...

;)

 
At 2:27 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger Grubber said...

At least I knew you weren't waving some bleeding cow around menancingly :)
cheers
Dave

 
At 10:58 AM, May 19, 2006, Blogger writergurl said...

dave, yes, you done good with that!

devib, seriously? He'll get a library. Hell, even Carter got a library... and he was pretty ineffectual too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home